Established in 2003, the Nature Center is a tax-exempt, nonprofit educational organization. Our site is on 10 acres in Lakeside, next to the Big Springs Environmental Study Area, with 5 acres leased from the Town of Pinetop-Lakeside on its Mountain Meadow Recreation Complex.
To connect people with wildlife through educational experiences inspiring appreciation, responsibility, and respect for the inter-relationships among humans, other living organisms, and the natural world we share.
To become the “one-stop shop” for all things environmental in the White Mountains region, working with our partners to educate visitors and encourage responsible action to better live with the natural resources we all share and care about.
Our goals are as follows:
- Offer education and recreational activities to foster appreciation of nature.
- Promote stewardship of our natural resources.
- Be a clearinghouse for all things nature, environmental, and wildlife-related.
- Promote sustainable living, “green” building, and FIREWISE and healthy forest principles.
- Diversify and promote a healthy local economy.
- Be a place where people have FUN learning about and discovering nature!
Will also work with partners and consulting groups to fulfill our objectives in the development and ongoing improvement of the Nature Center. For more information, see The Power of Partnerships.